14 February 2018 (Wednesday) - Stuff

I slept well, but I was still awake and watching “Plebs” before six o’clock. Marcus was having problems with an old school chum who had done much better in life than he had. Isn’t that so often the way?

I then had a look-see at the Internet. Facebook had one or two things going on. One of my old school chums was complaining about how the power cut at his home was still ongoing and his phone was about to run out of battery, so not everyone is doing *that* much better than I am.
I’d been thanked for saying nice things about the chap who was standing down from running a work-based Facebook page.
And squabbles abounded on the hunting Tupperware forums about… well… the specifics of the pettiness don’t matter. But triviality was blown out of all proportion. And (as is so often the case in every hobby I’ve ever taken up) some of the most vocal about the trivia don’t actually do the hobby anymore.
In that respect Facebook fulfils an odd function in allowing anyone to appear to be an expert in anything about which they actually have incredibly little experience.

With no emails of note I got dressed, taking care to let sleeping dogs lie. As I left the house I was a tad miffed to find a huge parking space outside; last night I’d had to park three streets away.
It was a foggy morning as I set off to work. So foggy that I nearly didn't see the idiot cyclist (all in black) who thought that red traffic lights didn't apply to him and cycled straight through the red light at break-neck speed as I was turning out of Beaver Road. There are those cyclists who bemoan their lot; some of them do get a bad press. But this prat was a prat indeed. No lights, all in black, and going at top speed through red lights. There *really* should be some regulation of cyclists.

As I drove the pundits on the radio were discussing how the government is hoping to change the process by which people can claim disability benefits. Apparently those charged with assessing the validity of the claims aren't any too bright; one such interviewer asking an applicant how long they had had Down's syndrome, and from where they caught it (!)
There was also talk of Boris Johnson's upcoming speech in which he is supposedly going to try to reunite the country after the Brexit schism. The pundits interviewed the Swedish ambassador who, whilst resigned to Brexit being a done deal, did ask what the British people were thinking of. There was also a lot of talk about the fate of EU nationals who have been living in the UK for years. This needs sorting out. Soon.

Again the roads were quiet; again I got to Pembury with quite a bit of time to spare. So I hunted out that geocache the clues for which I picked up on Sunday morning. And finding it was just up the road from another I ended up with two geo-finds his morning. Something of a result (if scrubbling in the undergrowth for damp plastic pots is what does it for you).
And having driven through a murky foggy morning I got to work just as the fog lifted and it brightened up.

Work was good; but the bright day gave way to a wet evening. It was pouring hard as I drove home. "er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good dinner and we watched the final episode in this current season of “Star Trek: Discovery”. Now the first season is done, I must admit I’ve been rather disappointed with it. Which is a shame.
After that we watched Trollied, Tattoo fixers, and all sorts of stuff.

I found some cheese in the fridge. By rights we should have eaten it six weeks ago…

No comments:

Post a Comment