21 January 2018 (Sunday) - Still Raining

I went to the loo at seven o’clock, and with nothing much planned for the day I thought I’d have half an hour more in bed. I woke up at half past nine. What a waste of a morning.
Over brekkie I had a little look-see on-line. There are mutterings of a road trip to the French geo-mega meet in Dunkirk in July so I solved a puzzle or two in the area from the comfort of my sofa. Some by traditional means, some not so.
I was rather pleased by something I saw on Facebook. Yesterday I wrote up some C.P.D., and being rather happy with one article I posted it to a work-based Facebook group I follow. It was accepted (they don’t accept any old rubbish) and by this morning it had received nearly thirty “likes”.

Despite the cold and the rain I took the dogs for a walk (hoping for a better result than yesterday). I suppose Fudge was better behaved than he was yesterday, but he inadvertently got me into a squabble. Just as the rain and hail was turning to sleet and snow I shouted for him to get a move on. I shouted that he was too slow. At this point he was about a hundred yards behind. You needed to be eagle-eyed to see him, and a passing big fat woman wasn’t eagle-eyed. She wasn’t happy at being told to get a move on and that she was too slow. I explained I was calling my dog; she pointed at Treacle who was at my feet. I pointed at Fudge; she couldn’t see him. I showed her my double-ended dog lead, but that cut no ice with her. Eventually she stormed off down the path, walking right past Fudge.
I was glad to get home.

Once home I puzzled a little more, then we settled the dogs and set off to Hastings to visit mums (and dad). Our first port of call was the Aldi in Hastings. I like their granola bars for lunch. A packet of those in Aldi is seventy-nine pence. But now that I’m on secondment to the hospital in Pembury I don’t go anywhere near an Aldi. The closest things I can find in Asda cost over two quid. We also bought some cake and took that round to see mum.
It was as well that we’d visited. Her phone needed some updates, and she was rather confused by it. Instead of reading the instructions and pressing one button, she’d decided to announce that it was all beyond her and just ignore it. In all honesty this is what most people do, and (to an extent) it works for most of the time. We hooked up her phone to my phone’s wireless hot-spot, and updated a dozen or so apps.
We then visited mother-in-law who was watching the snooker. I too watched the snooker, snoring gently until it was time for us to leave.

Once home I tried to geo-puzzle some more. Rather unsuccessfully. There was one particular geo-puzzle I wanted to solve as I will probably be walking right past it next weekend. I managed to decipher the code, but I ended up at a dead end. I emailed the chap who’d set the puzzle. He replied almost immediately, but he couldn’t remember how it was done.

With "er indoors TM" off bowling I watched the first episode of the new series on Sky Atlantic – Britannia. It is supposed to be about the Roman invasion of Britain in AD43. I studied this at school with a teacher who brought the subject to life. So far the show’s makers haven’t take too many liberties with the subject matter. However I’m struggling with the show. I’ve spent my entire life living pretty much where the early stages of the invasion took place. And even allowing for the passage of a couple of thousand years, Kent never had granite cliffs or huge waterfalls or weird rock formations like those seen in the show. If they had chalk cliffs and none of these utterly implausible rocky outcrops then I might be happier with it.
I think I shall just pretend the show is about the Roman invasion of south Wales (where it was filmed). That might work.
The SkyPlus box has downloaded the second episode. I shall watch that tomorrow.

Oh – today would have been "er indoors TM"’s great-grandmother’s one hundred and thirty-ninth birthday. An amazing woman. She once told me she stopped taking sugar in tea in 1916. There was a war on, you know…

No comments:

Post a Comment