17 January 2018 (Wednesday) - The Good Place

I woke shortly after 5am feeling incredibly confused having ha a rather vivid dream in which I was jintly running an antique shop with Daisy out of “Upstairs Downstairs”, but rather than actually selling antiques, I spent most of my time avoiding her “unnatural advances”.
Over brekkie I watched the first episode of “The Good Place”; a rather good show about a woman who dies and (through some administrative blunder) finds herself in heaven when actually should be in the “bad” place. The first episode was rather good.

I then sparked up my lap-top. "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" had sent me a WhatsAp message. She’s found nice-next-door’s house’s details on an estate agent’s website. It looks rather nice in there. Mind you it looks far more like a show house than somewhere that people actually live, but some people like living like that.
I confirmed my interest on a geo-event planned for the weekend, and I got myself together and set off to work.

It has to be said I was feeling far more positive about the journey today than I was yesterday. It wasn't quite so dark this morning; I left ten minutes later today. I think I shall do so more often.
As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were still talking about the failed giant Carillion. The story of Carillion is a sad tale of our times. From what I can work out the Government tendered out all sorts of public jobs (cleaning of hospitals, running of schools and prisons, social services, etc) and awarded the contract to the company that said they could do the job cheapest.
It turns out that Carillion *couldn't* do the job cheaply, sub-contracted the work out, and went bust owing millions to its creditors. And so having forked out to pay for the public services the government has to fork out again to actually get the jobs done, as all the money that Carillion were given has somehow vanished. 
It was mentioned that the top boss of this company was on a six-figure salary and he still is getting paid, and also that other bosses have been awarded bonuses even though the company has gone tits-up.
Personally I can't help but think that the public sector should just get a decent management structure in place and not have private sector fat-cats siphoning off the money, but what do I know?

There was also talk of how nurses are leaving the NHS in droves.I wonder what the situation is for pharmacists, physiotherapists, dieticians, biomedical scientists, radiographers... But then again, we aren't nurses. No on cares.

I got to work and had a rather busy day. I like that.
I had a quick look at Facebook during tea break. One of the "pages I might like" featured a first aid course for dogs. Presumably the course is for humans to learn to apply first aid to dogs, not for dogs to actually do the first aid? But at fifty quid I think I will give it a miss...

Once home "er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner. We scoffed it whilst watching this week’s episode of “Star Trek: Discovery”. The show is now watchable; a shame that they waited until episode ten before taking this revolutionary step…
A bottle of wine, a decent swig of the amaretto… I might have an early night…

No comments:

Post a Comment