8 October 2017 (Sunday) - The Needles, Osborne, and Home

I slept like a log and woke raring to go only to find it was a quarter to three. I then lay awake for much of the night on a bed that was on the “rock hard” side. I gave up and got up just before half past seven, and just as I started my morning shave so my razor snapped in half. Bearing in mind my shaving gel exploded yesterday and I’d shaved using soap and water I’d got some more shaving foam last night. I had been looking forward to a good scrape this morning…
"er indoors TM" woke… I say she woke. I made enough noise so she would wake and we went down for brekkie.

The guest house did a rather good brekkie. A choice of cereal followed by a choice of cooked brekkie, all with toast. Muesli followed by a full English is always good. The do-gooding healthiness of the muesli counteracts the cholesterol of the fry-up, whilst the cholesterol of the fry-up counteracts the do-gooding healthiness of the muesli, and all is well. The toast is neutral in all of this, which is why I usually have toast for brekkie.

We packed our stuff, said goodbye to the Somerton Lodge Hotel (I’d certainly go back!) and we went on a little road trip. With seven hours until the ferry sailed we had time on our hands. So we went on a little road trip across the Isle of Wight from Shanklin in the east to Freshwater in the west, picking up random geocaches as we went.
Once at Freshwater we carried on to the Needles tourist park. We went there when the children were small, and (to be honest) the place hasn’t changed much. We had a look about, then took the chair lift down to the beach. I can remember taking a very small "My Boy TM" on that chair lift years ago and he was terrified of it. Watching the general public on that thing I think it’s safe to say people are still scared of it.
We had a little wander round the bottom of the cliffs looking at the famous coloured sands before taking the scary lift back up the cliff to where we had an ice cream.

From the Needles we drove (without stopping for geo reasons!) to Osborne House. It was pretty much the only tourist attraction we didn’t visit when we were last on the island, and I wanted a look-see. After all, I have been getting very keen on ITV’s docu-drama about Queen Victoria.
Osborne House was quite interesting if you like that sort of thing. To be honest I could have rattled round in half the time; paintings of dull subjects and sculpture of nudey people without any clothes on soon pall.
It would have been good to have taken the coach trips across the estate to the private beach and the Swiss cottage, but time was against us.
I feel I should point out to any of my loyal readers who might be going to the area that the place wasn’t cheap. Their website said that the price of admission was twelve quid per person. They charged us eighteen.

Fortunately the ferry terminal at Fishbourne was only five miles away and soon we were sailing back across the Solent. After a brief stop at Clackett Lane services for McDinner we were soon back in Ashford. We visited both fruits of our loin to collect the wolfpack, and were home just after eight o’clock.

I quickly unpacked, and as I uploaded photos of the weekend (you can see the photos of today’s exploits by clicking here – the others are nearby) I suddenly realised how quiet it was. Both dogs were fast asleep. They’ve obviously both had good weekends too…

No comments:

Post a Comment