23 October 2017 (Monday) - Bit Dull

I woke feeling full of beans at 3am; I then dozed fitfully for a couple of hours. I gave up trying to sleep at 5.30am and over brekkie watched an episode of “Dad’s Army”. In today’s instalment our heroes were throwing buckets of water around on a roof. I turned it off, and sparked up my laptop instead.
I got just the teensiest bit peeved when looking at Facebook this morning. Back in the day when you had had enough of whatever but of tat you didn’t want any more you would throw it away. Or if it wasn’t entirely fit for the dustbin you would give it to the scouts who would flog it in a jumble sale. Nowadays you don’t throw anything away and you certainly don’t give it away. Instead you offer it up for sale on social media and pocket any profit for yourself. Unwanted shoes, knackered beds, worn out kids toys… is there nothing that people won’t try to sell? I suppose enough of this rubbish must sell for people to carry on trying to flog it.

It was still dark when I left home this morning; dark and rather cold. As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were spouting their usual drivel.  There was consternation being expressed by the Catalonian spokesman for foreign affairs who was discussing their sad state of affairs. I don't pretend to be an expert on the details of what is happening, but it seems that one part of Spain wants independence from the rest. And having actively sought it, the pundits on the radio were saying that this has prompted parts of Italy to also hanker for self-rule.
And so the European dream dies on its arse?
I can't help but despair. Surely the time for small-minded tribalism is past. Surely we should be working together rather than going our separate ways? There will be war in Europe again...

There was also consternation being expressed by the bleeding hearts about the announcement that people are going to have to prove they have been resident in the UK for six months before getting non-emergency treatment on the NHS.
Is this so unreasonable? Visitors to the UK will still get emergency treatment if ill, but people from foreign countries shouldn't be able to come to the UK for free midwifery and free joint replacement surgery.

The roads were nowhere near as busy as they have been, and I got to Maidstone in a fraction of the time it took last week. So, on finding Aldi  hadn't yet opened, I went to Sainsbury's for supplies.
 Oh dear...
Their jam. marmalade and peanut butter were twice the price of Aldi. I don't know what I'm more upset about; having to pay double the price for my condiments, or that I know the prices of jam and marmalade in different supermarkets. My  grandmother used to know the price of pretty much every item in every shop in Hastings. I hope I'm not going that way.
Mind you they did have dark chocolate Tunnock's caramel wafers. Not too shabby at all...

Some days in my life are good, others rather dull. If it wasn’t for the choccy biccie, today would have been incredibly dull…

No comments:

Post a Comment