12 September 2017 (Tuesday) - Travelling

With James on his way to house-and dog- sit we settled the pups, collected "My Boy TM" and his tribe and (it has to be said) against my better judgement set off on holiday. I didn’t want to go. I *hate* travelling, I detest aeroplanes, I don’t like the heat, I get bored easily… If someone had offered to take my place this morning I would happily have stayed at home.
But this was part of "er indoors TM" birthday treat so I sucked it up and off we went.

We made good time to the airport, and dropped off my car in the long-stay car park. The idea was I left the car and the keys with the car park people; they would store my car and it would be waiting for me on my return. I wasn’t keen on this holiday, and the nice man at “Summer Special” (quite frankly) didn’t know his arse from a hole in the ground. I wasn’t keen on leaving my car with him, but by then it was too late.
We got on the shuttle bus and we soon started the performance that is airport security.  Endless passport checks and armed police marching around. On the one hand the nation had to be vigilant… on the other hand anyone could rock up in a fishing boat at any beach in the country and not be challenged.

We met the rest of our gang (I seem to go everywhere mob-handed) and we were soon scoffing the Full English in the Wetherspoons, and washing it down with a couple of pints. Suitably replete we then mooched around the shopping mall. Gatwick airport seems to be designed for the sole purpose of separating people from their hard-earned cash.
I sat down and had a doze; usually I get fed up with more than an hour or so’s travelling, we’d left home five hours previously and still hadn’t got as far as the plane.

Suddenly there was excitement; our plane was boarding. We then trolled seemingly miles to bundle onto the plane. The first chap to get on walked half a dozen steps then started repacking all of his hand luggage in the aisle; effectively blocking everyone else’s way.
Eventually everyone was settled and we sat about waiting to be given the opportunity to blast off. Apparently all things aeronautical had been somewhat complicated by the French air traffic controllers going on strike today. But after another hour we were airborne.

Flying is dull.
Once you *finally* get into the plane you then sit about for ages waiting for take-off. There is two minutes of excitement, then hours of boredom spent squashed like sardines and unable to move. And the food… the in-flight magazine offered a cheese board. It looked wonderful. We got one to share; there wasn’t enough there to feed a mouse. What a rip off.
I read a rather rubbish book about London gangsters for four hours before we finally landed in Kos. But with the vagaries of international time zones a four-hour flight took six hours. We piled into our transfer coach, and after a little argument with the driver (who didn’t like people touching their own cases) we were on our way.

It was a shame that we went to everyone else’s hotels to drop them off before us; we’d landed in the early evening but it was dark when we got to our hotel.
Check-in went quickly, and we were in time for dinner. Having left home at 7am, we sat down to eat at 8.45pm. Dinner was very good; there was a huge selection. And after a little confusion in finding our rooms we thought we’d have a little drinkie and an early night. However an all-inclusive holiday with three cocktail bars was something like a red rag to a bull…

We went to bed at 1am having taken a few photos of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment