17 January 2017 (Tuesday) - Last Rostered Day Off

After a good night’s sleep I was rudely awoken at 6.30am. Someone or something crashed into next-door’s railings which set "Furry Face TM" barking. I’ve never liked next-door’s iron railings; you only have to walk past them for them to make the loudest of crashing noises. Simply closing the gate sounds as though a lorry has burst through the railings.

Over a spot of brekkie I checked out the Internet. For once I read the morning’s emails from LinkedIn rather than just pressing “delete”. It was utterly dull; people I’ve never met had recommended me for skills and abilities that I do not have. And in the footnote of one of the emails they had the cheek to say “This is an occasional email to help you get the most out of LinkedIn”. In my world “occasional” is far less than two or three every day.
I also had a scamming email purporting to be from Axis bank. You have to admire the tenacity of these scammers.
I then had a look on Facebook. I follow various pages connected with various interests of mine; astronomy, small dogs, geocaching, sci-fi, kite-flying, beer, fishing, nudey ladies… As usual there were all sorts of squabbles abounding, and as usual most of the squabblers don’t actually do the hobbies about which they are squabbling.

I popped the lead onto the dogs and we walked off to meet "Daddy’s Little Angel TM". "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" was at nursery; he doesn’t like going there, but seems to enjoy it when he is there. We walked wound to the park where the dogs were released, and the puppies played like things possessed. Fudge chased a squirrel up a tree, and Sid general plodded along at his own pace.
We met OrangeHead who was deep in conversation with a rival dog-walking posse. We knew everyone by sight (it’s a dog-walking thing) and everyone was keen to see the puppies; even more so when they realised that Treacle and Pogo are brother and sister.

We’d brought some bread with us to feed the ducks; we got to Singleton Lake to find it was mostly frozen over. I had thought about going fishing today; on seeing the ice I was glad I hadn’t. We had fun feeding the ducks; by throwing bits of bread an inch or two onto the ice from the water we managed to play duck-ice-breakers. We managed to cut off quite a large iceberg before the swans came over. Fudge barked at them as Treacle stood and started with a “WTF is that?” expression on her face. Pogo even jumped into the lake. It wasn’t deep but it was rather cold but he didn’t seem bothered.

Once home I settled the dogs and drove into town.. Or that was the plan. Yesterday when we came home from our walk I just opened the car door and took the dogs inside. I hadn’t noticed that Treacle had been travel-sick. Fortunately it was still rather cold; clearing up frozen dog vomit was much easier than cleaning up the molten stuff.
I needed new trousers for work. And nowhere that I could find makes trousers for the more rotund physique. However I had been told of one store that did. I had been putting it off, but it was time to bite the bullet. I went to Marks and Spencer. I didn’t want to; only old people shop there. But I got a half-way decent pair of trousers from them that fitted; even if they were twice the price of trousers in Matalan.
Pausing only briefly to call in to Tesco for a few bottles of beer I came home and spent a leisurely afternoon watching more episodes of “Victoria” interspersed with ”The Darling Bids of May”.

Jimbo arrived and I went down to Folkestone with him. We took his pup round the park for a walk then popped round to the chicken shop for some dinner and sunk a few beers before everyone else arrived for the Tuesday gathering. We had a rather good time playing on the ChromeCast game. Should do that more often…



No comments:

Post a Comment