30 July 2016 (Saturday) - e-souvenir

I set the alarm for 6am today; I was wide awake at 5.30am. For me that's not bad at all. I got up, abluted and had a look-see on-line. I banged off a quick email of thanks to the chap who'd spoken to the astro club last night. I thought he had been rather good. We'll have to have him back again.

I then wasted twenty minutes aimlessly roaming the local streets desperately trying to remember where I'd parked my car last night. Eventually I found it and set off to work. As I drove the radio was broadcasting its usual tripe. One article made me think. Since supermarket have been charging five pence for carrier bags, supermarkets have apparently used eighty five per cent less of the things. Clearly the general public are re-using their bags; which is what the idea of charging for them was all about. All I can say is I'm not. I still forget to pick one up when I go out and end up buying one. My locker at work is stuffed full of them.
Mind you I've always maintained I'm in the minority and here's another example...

I took a rather circuitous route to work today. Every summer you can get e-souvenirs from geocaching dot com for doing certain geo-things on certain days. Today if you logged a find on a cache with ten or more favourite points you got one of these e-souvenirs. In the great scheme of things it is (probably) an utterly worthless object to possess, but having one does give you bragging rights over those that haven't got one.
There was one such qualifying cache in Badlesmere so I went a few miles out of my way to get it this morning. Bearing in mind my trainers leaked on last weekend's geo-sortie, I put on wellies before crossing the fields today.
The grass was bone dry.
But I eventually found my prey, and was soon back in the car. e-souvenir got. Job done. Now to brag.

I made my way to Morrisons to get lunch. As I drove the pundits on the radio were making great show of the fact that today is the fiftieth anniversary of England's 1966 World Cup victory. They would not shut up about it.
And (to my mind) this is *exactly* what is wrong with our country today. We as a nation live on past glories. So many people take national victories that happened years ago so personally. I know of several people who still crow about this 1966 football success as though it happened yesterday. My own brother often harps on about this football match referring to it as when "we beat the krauts" even though he was born five years after it happened.

Whilst those on the radio were harping on about what a great victory "we" had had, I went into Morrisons and got some bog roll. To my mind I had the better victory. What happened in 1966 is long past. I shall need bumwad in the very near future.

And so to work... I spent much of the day looking out of the window thinking about what else I might have been doing. The astro club was running a stall at the New Romney country fayre today. I would have liked to have gone to that; those things can be good fun.
There was a mega-geo-event in Hertfordshire today. I would have liked to have gone to that as well.
Mind you it was raining by mid-afternoon... perhaps being at work today might have been the better option.

No comments:

Post a Comment