29 January 2016 (Friday) - Rather Negative Today...

I gave up trying to sleep after a rather restless night and was up and watching this week's "Extant" before 6am. The plot of the show seems to be being made up as the show goes along, but I found myself more and more being amazed bythe fact that Halle Berry is only two years younger than I am. The years have been much more forgiving to her than they have to me.
I quickly had a look on-line. Last night's on-line squabble seems to have died a death which was probably for the best. Why is it that whenever I disagree with someone I take the line of "I disagree with you for the following reasons..." but when anyone disagrees with me they take the line of "I disagree with you therefore you are a bastard"?
This is getting just a little bit wearing.

The morning's haul of emails brought a little frustration. Having spent out recently to replace my paper Ordnance Survey map of the East Kent area I am now told that had I waited a few days I could have got the map a lot cheaper by trading in my old map in part exchange.

As I drove to work I listened to the radio. Four out of every ten teachers have received a slap (or worse) from their pupils. Apparently "A lack of boundaries at home was singled out as the top reason for challenging, disruptive or violent behaviour".
I saw red on this one.
When I was a lad I didn't see my father in the morning; he'd gone to work by the time I got up. Most mornings I would get up myself, scoff brekkie and go to school where I would spend most of the day. By the time I got home and had some tea and done some homework it was usually bed time. Dad would come home about two to three hours after I got home.
It was much the same when my children were small. Whilst my mum laid down the law (as did "er indoors TM") most fathers are working every hour God sends. It is the teachers with whom the children spend most of their time, and it is these same teachers who should be setting some kind of moral and social example for the children.

Four out of ten teachers have experienced physical violence from their charges. Teachers are leaving the profession in droves because they are afraid. Doesn't this tell us something? People don't like being hurt perhaps?
When I was a lad the headmaster had a cane. He didn't need to wield it very often; the threat was enough. But periodically some oik would cross the line and would get two (NOT six) of the best. One boy had a sore arse for a day; a thousand boys behaved themselves and did their lessons (and didn't dream of attacking a teacher) for two years until the next oik got lippy. I think that is a fair price.
However things have changed at my old school. The cane has gone and I have heard recent tales of children openly sniffing glue in the classrooms.
My children's headmaster didn't have a cane. He had a permanently shut door (behind which he hid) and employed a load of support staff armed with politically correct platitudes. Whenever "My Boy TM" misbehaved, the teachers never dreamed of punishing him; they would sit down and try to discuss his crimes. He openly sneered at them. And "Daddies Little Angel TM"'s misdemeanours were rewarded with being given time off school so she could "reflect".
I've always said both fruits of my loin would have benefitted from a sore arse from their teachers from time to time. And told them both so. And in retrospect "Daddies Little Angel TM" has told me she agrees with me.

I got to work,an d an early start made for an early finish. From work I met Stevey at the station and we went on for McScoff with Steve and Sarah. And having McSoffed we went on to astro club.
I'd not been looking forward to going tonight. In all honesty I've not really looked forward to any of the club's meetings for some time. On the one hand I get to meet with a dozen good friends and a couple of dozen of other really good people that I have come to know over the years. On the other hand I am made to feel very awkward by the attitude of three people who make no secret of the fact that they detest me. It is heartening to be assured by everyone else that they want me to remain a part of the club despite the bullies, but I find it difficult to ignore them.
Tonight I made a point of making a joke of their attitude, but it is wearing a little thin...

No comments:

Post a Comment