1 January 2016 (Friday) - New Year's Day

At New Year it is traditional to reflect on what has gone before and what is to come. Realistically for me the last year has been pretty marvellous compared to how I thought things might have been. Things could have been better; they could have been considerably worse.
Looking at social media over brekkie gave me pause for thought on the matter, Everyone else has been making such reflections over the last day. There are those who feel they have had a really good year. There are those who feel they have had a terrible year. Admittedly much of what happens to us is beyond our control; who knows when the rug is going to be pulled (viciously and nastily) out from under us. But in many ways life is a frame of mind. Those who weren't happy with 2015 as a year also didn't much like 2014 either and (quite frankly) seem to have already decided against 2016.
Life *isn't* what you make it; but your own frame of mind is. And that will be this year's New Year Resolution; a lot less sulking and being a miserable old git..

We set off to Great Chart; having been asked to organise the New Year event I'd put a series of twenty geocaches out around the area for a walk this morning. I'd posted that anyone who fancies an early morning geo-wander might like to meet us in Great Chart this morning. I was expecting a dozen people; I was hoping for twenty. In all we had thirty-six people (and four dogs). I knew the terrain was muddy; but I didn't know it was going to be *that* muddy. It had certainly got a lot worse in the two weeks since I last walked the route

Three trial runs of this route had each taken me a shade over two hours; today we took two and a half hours. And once we'd walked we made our way to the pub where a dozen other friends (old and new) were waiting to meet us. We had a rather good spot of lunch and a few pints and spent time chatting. In retrospect it was perhaps a little cold to be sitting outside; perhaps the people at the pub had over-sung the praises of the patio heaters. But I had a good time. I think the final head count at the meet was over fifty; I was well impressed.

We walked home throuigh the park just as the rain started. I'd taken a few photos of the mud whilst we'd been out. Once home (and with dogs bathed) I put the photos on-line and then promptly fell asleep.

I woke a few hours later to find that "er indoors TM" had boiled up a rather good bit of scoff. We devoured it whilst watching the ITV2 channel. There were a couple of films on; "Despicable Me" and "Skyfall".
I rarely watch TV as it is broadcast - do normal people *really* put up with all these adverts?


No comments:

Post a Comment