17 December 2015 (Thursday) - Steak Night

The dogs sneaked upstairs in the night again. I wish they wouldn't. I can cope with "Furry Face TM" and his fidgetting; it is Sid's snoring that *really* disturbs me.
I gave up trying to sleep shortly after 7am and got up. I was expecting social media to be crawling with spoilers about the Star Wars film that came out last night. Surprisingly it wasn't. I was pleased about that.
Mind you (at the risk of appearing to be an old sourpuss) I'm getting a little fed up with hearing about it. I've said so a few times and this has met with genuine surprise. So many people have asked me why I'm not raving about the new Star Wars film - "after all you like Star Trek" is the standard response. That is akin to wondering why a fan of West Ham United isn't interested in the exploits of the Kent cricket team because it is all sport.
I took my brother to see the first three Star Wars films (when they first came out) and wasn't impressed. I've only seen the next three once only, and slept through most of them.
Don't get me wrong - if anyone likes the genre then I sincerely hope they like the films. But I have no interest in them.

"er indoors TM" had plans for a haircut this morning so I put the lead on to "Furry Face TM" and took him out to Great Chart. I had some geocaches to hide. I didn't take Sid as I thought it might be too muddy for him. It was. The mud was *very* thick and deep. Shoulder-deep on Fudge in places. But we got the caches out. Job done.

We came home to find visitors. "Daddies Little Angel TM" was on the sofa and "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" was wreaking havoc with a salt cellar. I hosed the mud from my dog then scoffed the burnt cheese on toast she'd boiled up. They then set off to visit friends, and "er indoors TM" came home complete with new haircut. I'm not sure how much she spent on it; in all honesty it doesn't really look any different to how it was before, but what do I know?

We then went on a little drive to Surrey to the bowling ball shop. She wanted a new ball, and the place in Surrey drills out the holes to custom-fit the ball to your hand. This is the fifth ball she's had; they don't seem to last that long.

We came home, and because it is nearly Christmas we went out for dinner. We've been to the Honest Miller in Brook a few times. Thursday night is steak night. I rarely have steak when I eat out but this was really good. And the trifle for dessert wasn't too shabby at all (to quote the first fruit of my loins). Both were washed down with a couple of pints of rather good ale. And they gave us a voucher for twenty five per cent off the price of our next visit. I will definately be going back.

Mind you (like many pubs) this place really does decide what it wants to be. On the one hand was fine dining. On the other hand was drunken harpies shrieking at each other. Drunken shrieking is only acceptable when I'm the one doing the shrieking.


No comments:

Post a Comment