7 August 2015 (Friday) - This N That

Another good night's sleep was rudely aborted shortly before 5am by a certain Patagonian Tripe-Hound's declaring "Red Alert". The trouble with living on a main road is that there are people coming and going at all hours. Whilst I'd sleep through it, dogs don't seem to do so.
After watching Billie Piper's stunt double failing to flop them out in today's installment of "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" I then sparked up Windows 10. So far it seems to be working reasonably well even if the laptop did get a little bit hot last night. I shall put that down to the over-excitement of the upgrade.

Over brekkie Facebook was awash with the photos of the Hastings pram race which took place yesterday. It is something for which many friends and family prepare for months, and I find out about after the event. It would have been nice to have been told it was happening. I suppose I could periodically check various on-line diaries to find out for myself. Or perhaps (being paranoid) I wasn't told about it because I wasn't wanted there... every year I whinge about missing this event.

Off to work. Earlier in the week I was ranting about the stupidity of the police's investigations of Sir Edward Heath who has been dead for ten years. Today's radio brought news of a chap who lived locally who had been found guilty of raping his five year old child. In this case the chap is still alive so at least he can be brought to justice, but again this crime was from forty years ago. How can there be a fair trial after this time?
Come to that why is it that so many people feel that a fair trial is unneccassary? Is the simple allegation of child abuse *really* enough to prove guilt? I personally know of a case where scouting friends were accused of all manner of foul acts by a child who later subsequently admitted to having made it all up because of some trivial incident that happened at scout camp.

I've also been ranting about how the county has been brought to a standstill by the migrant crisis in Calais which has effectively closed the motorway. The pundits on the radio were telling of how the amounts of fines issued to hauliers has massively increased recently. I suppose that the lorry drivers have to make sure they aren't bringing in people with or without their knowledge. But the radio featured an interview with a chap who having driven from France to England thought he could hear movement in the back of his lorry. He turned his lorry around, drove to the customs people at Dover docks and told them he thought he had illegals in his load. The customs officials opened his lorry, found eleven illegal immigrants, and then fined the driver thousands of pounds for bringing them into the country.
This chap told the interviewers that next time he will let the illegals out at the first motorway services he finds. Can't say I blame him...

On my way to work I stopped off at Morrisons for crisps and stuff for the evening; it came as something of a shock to find that Morrisons charge two quid for something I could buy in the shop over the road from my house for only one quid.
Whilst I was there I saw a CD I quite liked the look of : "Number Ones from the Seventies". It wasn't expensive so I bought it and I then drove on to work singing along to Elvis's "The Wonder of You", Tammy Wynette's "Stand By Your Man" and Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive". I might not be utterly impartial, but I thought I gave a good rendition of these songs.
The random thought occurred to me that I might actually be rather good as a drag singer?

I popped out for a walk at lunch time. I'd received word that a geocache I'd hidden near the hospital had gone walkabout. It hadn't. It was exactly where I'd put in in April when I put it there because its predecessor had gone missing. Funnily enough its once-missing predecessor was also there as well. It certainly wasn't there in April but today both caches were within two inches of each other. What was going on there? Had someone taken the original home to show their mum and brought it back later?

With "er indoors TM" off to Harrogate to monger candles I was left to my own devices this evening. So I we had a little game of cards. I haven't played cards for ages; I really like the game even though I'm not actually very good at it. Straight flushes, full houses, chocolate frogs... must do it again soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment