11 June 2014 (Wednesday) - Kearsney Abbey

My dog woke me at 5.30am with a minor woofing fit. Something was worrying him; he seemed keen to get outside so I let him into the garden where he ran round the pond a few times before coming back to the house with something of a satisfied air about himself.
He then settled on my lap and slept whilst I watched "Family Guy" until it was time to go to work.

Today's news on the radio was a tad dull in comparison to yesterdays, which was as well for the volatility of my piss. The medical community are up in arms about statins. Those who make and sell the things have announced that they are the best thing since sliced bread. Those who deal with the nasty side-effects of those drugs aren't so sure. Are they wonder-drugs? I don't know, but I'm certainly not going to put up with the unwanted side effects of headaches, muscle pains, cramps, vomiting, dire rear, rashes and difficulty sleeping (!) just on some vague and unsubstantiated suggestion that I might or might not have heart problems ten years down the line.

Neither was I overly impressed with the news that whilst my gas and leccie bills are going through the roof, the wholesale prices of gas and electricity have fallen.
Since last year the power company is getting gas for nearly forty per cent less than they had been paying. Leccie is twenty per cent cheaper too. Or, to be more precise, it is twenty per cent cheaper to them. It's actually dearer for me.

The lunchtime sax practice went well. As always I set up at the end of the car park and make a noise on my saxophone. There are resurfacing works going on in the car park at the moment, and part of the car park is fenced off. As I was wrestling with a rather difficult B-flat a passing normal person started haranguing me. He wanted to walk through the car park (as part of a short cut to somewhere) and he wasn't impressed that his short cut had been fenced off. How long did I intend keeping my fence up? My protestations that i was a saxophonist and nor a car park resurfacer fell on deaf ears. Obviously the fence was my responsibility; why else would I be in a car park?
In the end I told him that I was on my lunch break; and perhaps he might pretend he hadn't seen me. He smiled and climbed through the fence. As I carried on "In Dulce Jubilo" I watched him being stopped by the genuine car park resurfacers who were taking none of his lip.

Once home we put the lead onto "Furry Face TM" and took him for a drive and then a walk. First of all we had something of a geo-mission. At the weekend I'd solved a geo-puzzle using the old "hot or cold" game in which you get told whether you are hot or cold in relation to how close you are to whatever it is you are trying to find. It's rather tricky on a web page, but a concerted effort with an Excel spreadsheet and a couple of hours of effort gave me the location. This evening I thought this might make a suitable geocache to be my three thousand five hundredth find. It did.
From here we went on to Kearsney Abey for a little wander. Fudge fell in the fiver whilst chasing ducks. I didn't laugh much...

No comments:

Post a Comment