15 February 2014 (Saturday) - Geo-Meet

After yesterday's flood warnings I had a rather restless night. the hail against the window was particularly loud at 4am. I got up at 7am to see the road wasn't flooded. That came as something of a relief. "Furry Face TM" seemed rather subdued at brekkie time. I've been a it worried about that dog. After we came home from our walk yesterday he slept most of the day; only stirring himself when he say I had some cheese with my port. Perhps dogs shouldn't have stilton, but he seemed to like it.
I brandished his lead at him and he went mental. He was certainly up for a walk. Unlike our usual walks where we go quite a long way from home, today we were out for quite a while, but stayed relatively local. I wanted to check out the nearby river and see the extent of the floods. The river was perhaps two inches from bursting its banks in places; the footpath was under water for several yards. Car parks at B&Q and at the vet's were flooded. Whilst out we saw three houses had sandbagged their front doors. I wonder where they get sandbags from?
Do we need sandbags? I'm hoping not. I would guesstimate that the water level in the river has got to rise by about eighteen inches before we need to worry. I took some photos of the floods whilst we were out.

Once home "Furry Face TM" hopped into the bath to hose the mud off of his underside and then he scoffed up most of his brekkie. With brekkie scoffed he then charged around the living room like a thing possessed; completely at odds with his quiet behaviour earlier. Perhaps I worry too much about that dog.

And so on with the business of the day: the monthly meet-up of geocachers. This month the meet was local - SIngleton Barn. It's always good to meet with people of a like mind, and today I got to chat with friends old and new about all sorts of geo-things. A couple of weeks ago I'd put put a series of puzzle caches for the day - they seemed to go down very well with their target audience. I found out all about Bashful the dwarf; but am still in the dark about Feigenbaum's bifircation theorem.
The plan was a quick beer and a quick chat - I was there all afternoon. And being one of the last ones to go it seemed a shame for the fun to end, so we collected "Furry Face TM" and went round to to Lisa's for the evening.

I shall have a headache in the morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment