29 January 2012 (Sunday) - A Walk

it's quite amazing how large a part Facebook plays in my life these days. It's quite a good website: but it could be just that little bit better. This morning over brekkie I noticed that it's got a new feature - it suggests upcoming events that you might like to join in with. Today it suggested that I might like to go along to a teenagers' school party that my nephew is going to. I can just see the teachers loving that (!)

Whilst I was brekkie-ing, "er indoors TM" had her weekly weigh-in: she's dieting as well. But (because she's a lot smaller than me) she's allowed a lot less calories every day, and so her weight loss is slower (or so I am reliably informed!). Apropos of nothing I did some sums - yesterday I mentioned how much weight I'd lost. But another way of looking at it is that since I started up with myfitnesspal.com I’ve lost twenty per cent of my body weight. Not bad going, I suppose.
I then spent a little while trying to find free James Bond books for my Kindle. Trying; not doing. I couldn't find any. I was also looking for "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" as a freebie, but didn't have any luck. I'm having a phase of reading "classics" on my Kindle at the moment. "Gulliver's Travels" was good. I'm half way through "Moby Dick", but am finding it hard going. If any of my loyal readers have any suggestions for classic literature that's actually worth reading, I'm all ears.

The sun was shining outside: it looked like a lovely day so we decided we'd go for a walk. As we stepped out so the sky darkened and the rain started. Only drizzle, but rain nonetheless. We decided to press on regardless, and after a thirty second downpour the rain actually stopped. We took a scenic wander through Clockhouse to Singleton where we stopped for a while at the pond. I felt sorry for the geese - they came up to us obviously expecting to be fed. Next time we'll take them some bread. It was at this point that we realised we should have stopped and picked up Fudge on the way - he would have liked the exercise.
We carried on round the pond, spent five minutes trying to get the gunge of of the lens of "er indoors TM" 's camera, and then made our way back along the river. The river is a lot cleaner than it was when the children were small - the Ashford Green Corridor project has worked quite well.
We stopped off in the park to look at the fountain - it had been cleaned out and was in full flow. it looked quite impressive: a shame it had been painted a horrible orange colour.

Back home for lunch. I say "lunch" - I wasn't especially hungry and so made do with a bag of crisps, and I settled in for the now traditional Sunday afternoon and evening's watching hours of Star Trek: Voyager. With the USS Prometheus captured by Romulans, Hirogen running riot, Borg getting up to mischief, it's good stuff - just a shame there are so many adverts in it...


No comments:

Post a Comment