15 December 2010 (Wednesday) - Parcels, Quizzes



Off to the sorting office in town to collect a parcel. “Daddies Little Angel TMwasn’t in when the postman called, so he’d left us a note to go and get the thing. The R-tard behind the desk wasn’t happy because I wasn’t the person to whom the package was addressed. The fact that I had to live in the same house in order to have the delivery slip in my hand was neither here nor there as far as he was concerned. And he conceded that if he was delivering the thing to my home, he would hand over the parcel without a second thought.  Normally I don’t engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent, but this twonk had wound me up. In the end he was too embarrassed not to hand over the parcel, but continued grumbling that next time the parcel recipient must give me written permission to collect the parcel. I’ll worry about that next time.

And then on to work. Normally on Wednesday we have a lunchtime lecture. Today we had an Xmas quiz. I was rather flummoxed by the acronym round. What do CAPA, NICE, IBMS stand for? And they didn’t get any easier. When was haemoglobin first discovered? I don’t know. What is the most common blood group in Kent?
But after all was said and done I didn’t do too badly. With twenty one points out of a possible forty, I ended up in joint third place, and only lost out on a prize after I failed the tiebreaker. How many of Santa’s reindeer can you name? I got Rudolph, Donner, Blitzen, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch. But it would seem I missed some out.

My pink USB memory stick would seem to have croaked. How long do USB memory sticks live for? Mine never seem to manage very long.
And then we did our Xmas food shopping. We’ll have to get the fresh stuff a bit nearer the time, but a combination of shops getting busier by the day, and a very full diary meant that our major food shop could only get done tonight or on Xmas Eve. And I’ve been to supermarkets on Xmas Eve before…


Meanwhile most of the usual suspects are chilling out round the patio set. RU12 and Frosty are not though. They feel that a patio set has no place in an advent calendar, and it could be argued that they may well have a point.

They are refusing to join in today’s picture: they claim they are taking a moral stance.
However it has to be said that there are very few robots and even fewer snowmen less suitable to claim the moral high ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment