10 April 2010 (Saturday) - Busying About...

I had to work this morning, so I thought I’d treat myself to a fry-up at the hospital canteen. When I arrived I was told it was closed. I asked the happy cheerful soul behind the counter when they opened. It grunted and pointed at an obscure sign before walking off, leaving the food drying out for a further ten minutes before deigning to come back to splat some out for me. Many years ago when I worked in catering, we were told that when preparing a meal, presentation is all. No one had imparted this information to the works canteen. It was all thrown on the plate, with baked beans poured over the top like gravy.

And they wonder why the place doesn’t make the money it used to…


Work was dull, and due to a totally predicable I.T. crisis I was over an hour late getting home. I was rather miffed about this, as ‘er indoors TM was flogging candles at a psychic fair, and I wanted to go. I do like the psychic fairs – they are so dreadful they are hilarious. Let’s be honest – if the psychics were actually any good they would know in advance that absolutely no one would be going to the things.

Instead I came home, scoffed a quick sandwich, and then I did some bike maintenance. We bought a bike for a friend in January, and spent three months getting round to finishing putting the thing together. This afternoon I got it done. Let’s hope it doesn’t fall apart when it’s put to use next week. Once the lawn was mowed I spent more time fiddling with the pond. The fountain attachment in the middle wasn’t pumping as vigorously as it might have been so I took it apart, gave it a good clean, rebuilt it and then thoroughly soaked myself. It’s working now, and despite a whole load of commotion going on in the pond, the fish were still swarming round me trying to get food.


I wasted a few minutes doing something I meant to do some weeks ago. Last year we cycled to several pubs, and each time I put up a route and map onto a certain bit of the Internet to which I am very grateful to have access. I finally got round to indexing the lot and making a mini-web site of cycle routes. Having dusted off the bikes, I intend to start gently next weekend with a trip to Shadoxhurst – look it up on the web site. Having said “start gently”, it won’t be that gently as the route takes us up Singleton Hill.

Whilst planning for the summer, I discovered there’s all sorts of things planned up at Kings Wood. I suspect I may well be going to one or two of these over the next few months…


And then I spent the evening fishing with “My Boy TM ”. Must do it more often. I gave up when darkness fell, and left him to it. I came home to watch Doctor Who on the BBC i-player. A good episode – I like Matt Smith, but he is very much doing a “David Tennant” impression, and David Tennant was in retrospect doing a Christopher Eccleston impression. A shame they didn’t create a whole new persona for each new incarnation like they did originally…


No comments:

Post a Comment