22 December 2009 (Tuesday) - Secret Santas

If any of my loyal readers had called up anything on Google today, they would have seen the logo was “Happy Holidays”. A lot of people have already started their Xmas holidays, including the first fruit of my loin and my beloved. I’m not jealous… much.

In retrospect I got into my line of work by accident, and then having spent so much time studying for the exams it seemed a shame to change careers. In retrospect, when I was younger, had I known then what I do now, I doubt I would have gone into hospital work. I don’t know what I would have done, but something which occasionally closes would be good. I’m getting fed up with not finishing until late on Xmas eve, and being back a week before everyone else goes back to work. In my line of work I can (and do) get called any time of the day of night. As a teenager I seriously considered joining the police. I’m now wishing that I had – the hypothetical P.C. Badger would be looking at retiring in five years time.


Talking of which, to work for the Xmas bash. I got a bottle of Xmas ale, an Xmas pudding and a badger puppet in the “secret santa” draw. Obviously bought by someone who knows me – I’m rather pleased with what I got. It’s so easy to think “Oh stuff it” and buy socks or chocolates. Someone’s obviously thought about me in buying this pressie.


And then home for another Xmas celebration. For some sixteen and a half years, every Tuesday night has been special, and tonight was no exception. Far too much to drink (the Imperial Stout at 10.5% was a mistake!) and another secret santa pressie – another excellent one. To bed with the makings of an excellent hangover.


Meanwhile in lego-land, after a week’s solid drinking, “Gervais” is playing with a chain saw. The rest of the crew now are literally dicing with death. On the one hand a homicidal axe-murderer, on the other a drunken duckie. Which way would you go…?


1 comment:

  1. A drunken duckie...versus a Manky Badger....hey I go with the badger every time.
    The police may have been a good choice. Having worked in social services and education ...I go with social services every time. Maybe I didn't realise it at the time, but who does, it was a brill job. I worked a lot with the police and we got on rather well. If I were back in the UK I would be looking at social services/police work again.
    But........when we are young we think we know everything....unfortunately we don't.
    Oh well......we all did our best and I am sure you make a bloody good job of it. I remember at Christchurch not having a day off sick in many years. Heh....they don't make 'em like us any more.
    'grats mate....you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete